Sunday, March 6, 2011

YUMMY Carrot Cake Muffins!

I found the below recipe off of the NY Time's website. I doubled the recipe and made a few changes (in blue).They are SUPER dense, and I really dig that. Just a tiny hint of sweetness.

Carrot Cake Muffins
By MARTHA ROSE SHULMAN


2 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour (next time, I might use 1/2 spelt flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup raw brown (turbinado) sugar (I used 1/6th of a cup of sugar, and next time, will probably omit entirely)
1/3 cup canola oil (next time, I might incorporate coconut oil in this)
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup golden raisins tossed with 1 teaspoon unbleached all-purpose flour, or 2/3 cup chopped pecans (I used 1 full cup of raisins and didn't use any flour)
1 1/2 cups grated carrots

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees with the rack in the upper third of the space. Oil or butter muffin tins.
2. Sift together the whole-wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Using a whisk or a spatula, stir in the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Do not beat; a few lumps are fine, but make sure there is no flour at the bottom of the bowl. Fold in the raisins or pecans and the carrots.** batter is VERY thick, and does not rise, what you see in the muffin cup is what I got out of the oven.**
4. Spoon into muffin cups, filling them to just below the top (about 4/5 full). Place in the oven, and bake 25 minutes until lightly browned and well risen.

Yield: Twelve muffins, depending on the size of the muffin tins.

Advance preparation: These keep for a couple of days out of the refrigerator, for a few more days in the refrigerator and for a few months in the freezer.

Nutritional information per muffin (based on 12-muffin yield): 239 calories; 1 gram saturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 4 grams monounsaturated fat; 32 milligrams cholesterol; 38 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 323 milligrams sodium; 5 grams protein

Carrot Cake Muffins batter
I almost needed a bigger bowl since I doubled the recipe.  Use a STRONG spoon to mix!
DSCN0209
I got to finally use my "shed" disc on my food processor! It was so much fun!
DSCN0210

1 comment:

  1. Do you also like banana bread? I tried a new recipe over the weekend and it was a big hit.

    http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=13413.0

    Unfortunately I unveganized it by using eggs and adding a cut up chocolate bar. Also, I completely forgot to put in the margarine/butter so it was fat-free (aside from the chocolate bar :) and still tasted great!

    ReplyDelete