Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Oh Nutella...

The other night, I finally found hazelnuts and attempted this recipe off of this nice lady's blog... In Jenny's Kitchen.

I made some changes...

I wanted to replace the white sugar with coconut sugar that I got.
I used 60% Bittersweet Chocolate bar from Ghirardelli
I used some hazelnut oil that I had instead of the vegetable oil
I was gonna reduce the amount of sugar actually added since, 1/2 cup seemed crazy!

So when I made it, after thinking that I had done something wrong cause the hazelnuts where NOT becoming the consistency of peanut butter... but between 1 minute to the next, it did!



Then I added the melted chocolate bar.
And the vanilla extract.

I kept processing and finally, VUALA! Nutella!  I then added the hazelnut oil.  When I tasted it, I found NO NEED to add ANY more sugar!  And I never even added the cocoa powder.

But after licking the bowl, and the spoons... I found that it was simply tooooo sweet to eat without a terrible guilty conscious.  I'm trying to eliminate sugar from my diet, and there was simply too much sugar in that 4 oz of bittersweet chocolate for me to think this was a viable alternative to Nutella, which is what I was going for.



So, back to the drawering board!  I gave this tub of hazelnutty goodness to my coworker Sean, and will be going back to the kitchen to try again.



Ghirardelli has a 100% unsweetened chocolate baking bar which I'll try. Along with cocoa powder.  And then I'll add my coconut sugar or stivia at the end for optimum sweetness.



Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment