Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Breakfast options

I had some Nature's Path Heritage Flakes this morning. I was first introduced to the brand while in Oregon.  I found these at my local Henry's Farmer's Market.  They've pretty tasty, super crunchy and even Brian likes them!

The ingredients are (and I'm copy and pasting this directly from their website) :

Made with love and ...

INGREDIENTS : Kamut® Khorasan wheat flour*, wheat bran*, whole wheat meal*, evaporated cane juice*, whole oat flour*, spelt flour*, barley flour*, whole millet*, barley malt extract*, quinoa*, sea salt, honey*.
 
I only wish that they didn't use evaporated cane juice to sweeten these.  I'm still trying to figure out what types of sugars I want to be putting into my body, but I don't eat the cereal everyday, so, right now, I'm ok with it.

I also found the Heritage O's at the Santa Monica Coop.  These I had in Oregon.  Even brought home a big ecopac bag seen below on the plane since I wasn't sure if I would be able to find them down here.  I was happy that I did, especially since Brian finished the O's in a week!  They are soooo CRUNCHY! its really fun :)

The O's are

Made with love and ...

INGREDIENTS : Whole oat flour*, whole wheat meal*, Kamut® Khorasan wheat flour*, evaporated cane juice*, spelt flour*, barley flour*, barley malt extract*, quinoa flour*, millet flour*, sea salt, honey*. 
 
The next ones I'm gonna try are the Millet Rice Flakes.  They are sweetened with concentrated grape and/or pear juice.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mel, what bothers you most about evaporated cane juice? Now that I have lived two places where sugarcane is commonly eaten, evaporated cane juice seems like a relatively natural sweetener, though there might be a lot of processing I don't know about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading a lot about white sugar addictions, and have tried very hard to eradicate it from my diet... so I don't know where evaporated cane juice falls.

    ReplyDelete