Saturday, February 26, 2011

Date Day

My therapist insists that the husband and I go on dates each week, so I've really been trying to use the opportunity to see parts of LA that I haven't seen yet.  My job, is to find things that B would like. His, it to find things that I would like.

It was supposed to rain all day, so we decided to go to the California Science Center... I have no idea how long its been here, but this museum is friendly for children... and Petunias. It cost $8 cash to park, and donation only entry into the museum. The Imax theater did have a cost though.

I never did have an easy time learning science from a text book.  Its too abstract.  But science museums are awesome for me.  The demonstrations and exhibits made a lot of things that were hard to grasp, really graspable :)

They have a new exhibit there right now called "Ecosystems."

DSCN0155There were rooms for Decay (which had a tank with a millipede, and even a decaying carcass of an animal complete with flies and maggots. Gross, but educational), Kelp Forest, Islands, Deserts, Rivers, and a few others.

DSCN0143


I got to see my first desert tortoise, which was something I was always on the look out for when we went camping at both Joshua Tree NP and Red Rock Canyon SP.  It would have been awesome to see one in the wild, but I was excited to see one alive! They had a cool demonstration on how quickly flash floods happen in the desert.

I even got to touch some sea creatures!

DSCN0151
Star Fish


DSCN0152

DSCN0153
Really soft!

We witnessed feeding time at the big fish tank.

DSCN0165
Fish love food and feeding time as much as I do!

DSCN0171
and Sharks!



DSCN0179
Eels are one thing I love being behind glass for... ewwwww!


DSCN0181
Amazing school of fish, swimming together in unison!
All the underwater exhibits made me think twice about the possibility of one day, going scuba diving. Many of my close friends do it... but there is something about being at the bottom of the ocean freaks me out. But maybe, to see the opportunity to see stuff like this... maybe, just maybe.

DSCN0199

Date Day at the California Science Center was fantastic!  After 2 hours of leisurely navigating the various ecosystems, we made out way back into the real world of Los Angeles and decided to leave the rest of the the museum for another rainy day!

2 comments:

  1. I, too, always had a tough time learning both science and history from a textbook and that's why I LOVE museums! When in school, I never passed up a field trip to The Science Museum and treated the trip like it was one to Disney World! When in Amsterdam I begged my aunt to go tour Anne Frank's House. I'm just completely fascinated by museums...it's an addiction really. Now if only the husband would become addicted with me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! We must explore some museums then! I was spoiled living so close to Manhattan, and never taking advantage of those opportunities!

    ReplyDelete