Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pumpkin Ice Cream!

I had to improvise and adapt this recipe from 2 recipes... The recipe I was following called for eggs, but did not mention cooking them... I had never made ice cream before but had seen it done enough times on the Barefoot Contessa to remember... tempering eggs (cause it always scared me).


Pumpkin Ice Cream

2 cup Heavy Cream
1 cup Milk
2 Eggs
3/4 cup Date Syrup *** see recipe below
Cinnamon
Fresh Nutmeg
1 cup Pumpkin Puree

I whisked together the eggs. Then, in a separate container, I mixed the cream, milk, date syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. I put that on the stove until it was hot enough I thought to cook eggs. Then I took two ladles of the liquid and quickly whisked it into the eggs. Then I quickly whisked all the eggs back into the cream mixture on the stove and continued to cook until it got thick and coated the spoon.

Then I put it in my already pre-frozen ice cream attachment and mixed according to my Kitchen Aid directions. 

DSCN0471

About 20 minutes later, scooped it all out into an old Chinese food container and stuck in the freezer.

Pumpkin Ice cream Take 2

** this is how I would make the recipe again. This is NOT how it went down last night in my kitchen... I'll spare you the dramatic details!

It was quite yummy! I sampled enough of the cream before it got mixed... and licked enough of the spoon to know that totally hard, this ice cream rocks! Not super sweet, but sweet enough for me. And NO CANE SUGAR!

***  Date Syrup

 Ingredients 

10 Medjool dates, pitted (or 20 normal dates, pitted)
1 3/4 cup water
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Place all ingredients in a blender and process for a few minutes until smooth and completely blended. Start off slowing to allow the dates to break up initially, and then build up the speed. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment