Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Farm Fresh To You

CSA

Do you know what it is? It stands for Community Supported Agriculture where you get your food directly from the farmer's that grow it!

I signed up for Farm Fresh To You CSA program here in Southern Los Angeles.  The website is pretty cool and the program itself is very customizable to my needs.

I can have food delivered weekly, bi monthly or delivered every 3 or 4 weeks.  They also offer different portions to satisfy the needs of your hunger or the size of your family!

And if you do not like a certain food or are allergic, you can EXCLUDE it and they will just give you more of something else in the absence of those items you excluded.

My first box came last Wed! It was very exiting because they deliver it during the night (so the sun doesn't wilt anything while you're at work). Who doesn't love getting presents in the middle of the night? Its like Christmas every 2 weeks!

First CSA Box!

CSA unveiling

4/24 - CSA Box #1

7 Fuji Apples
1 Lemon
2 Haas avocado
1 bundle of strawberries
1/2 lb asparagus
1/2 lb of summer squash
1 lb baby bok choy
2 spring onions
1 red butter lettuce
1 green leaf lettuce
1 bunch of basil


The price of this service for this box is $31.50.

When the husband asked "is it worth the money?" I had to pause. I normally do this sort of shopping at my local farmer's markets.

So the jury is still out in terms of apples to apple (no pun intended), but there is a convenience factor that can not be over looked.

I'll continue to see if this is something I'd like to continue with. Perhaps playing around with the amount of food and the delivery schedule.

**on a fun note, before this box came, I had never cooked with either Bok Choy OR spring onions.  Having them appear on my doorstep (as it were) gave my life a very "Chopped" feel of opening up a box and experimenting with different foods.

I had ending up GRILLING my halved Bok Choy that were drizzled with sesame oil and garlic powder and roasting the halved spring onions with olive oil and thyme and finishing them off with some balsamic vinegar.  Fun experience!

1 comment:

  1. I am really impressed with your writing abilities and also with the format in your weblog.
    Is this a paid theme or did you modify it your self? Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it's rare to see a nice weblog like this one nowadays..

    my website www.wheelhousebikes.com

    ReplyDelete