Monday, November 5, 2012

Coming Home to Corn Bread and Soup

I've been dying for corn bread, cause you know, its that time of the year!  So the first place I look for ANY baking recipe is My New Roots.  Sarah has been my salvation after giving up the white flour and sugar.  She had a recipe for Black Quinoa Corn Muffins which sounded right up my alley.  I mean, it wasn't exactly what I was going for, but I still have to remind myself that the old corn bread ways of life do not serve me now.

I headed over to Whole Foods for black quinoa (but couldn't find any) so I had to resort to my plain old white quinoa.  They did have RED... but it wasn't organic, so oh well.

DSCN1284

They are not colorful as Sarah's looked, but I mean... check out that HEART! (That was a birthday gift a few years back from Cousin) There were 2 hearts full of corn bread, but um... that other heart... disappeared.

Sarah also said in her blog when she developed these babies, that she developed them to go hand in hand with her Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup.  She claims they were best friends, and we should let them play with each other!... Who was I to break up a friendship? So I made the soup.

DSCN1285

A big reason that I made this soup was because I had a head(?) of celery root in the fridge... and I had never before eaten or cooked with celery root, so I was a perfect opportunity!  The cool think about this soup, is that because of the sweet potato, and the maple syrup, it kinda screamed FALL/THANKSGIVING yumminess.

I had made the muffins in the morning, and the soup in the afternoon. Come dinner time, I heated up the soup and popped a few of the muffins in the toaster oven... kind of amazing.  They crisped up on the top and the crunchiness was a great compliment to the rich heartiness of the soup.

Oh, you wanna know B's stance on the muffins?  He LOVED them.

DSCN1288

And Sarah was right... best friends 
forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment